We’re Gonna Dance with Somebody is an online Performance Project for people aged 50yrs and over led by Kristyn Fontanella.
In place of our yearly production with The High Kicks of Limerick (an ensemble of dancers aged 50yrs or over) we have decided to move online and virtually dance together. This project is focused on staying connected through our love of dance even during these difficult and challenging times.
Even though we can not dance with someone physically right now, with this project we are looking to the future when we will return to the dance floor together again.
We will be learning a new way to dance together through video tutorials and online Zoom dance classes. You will learn a dance combination to Whitney Houston‘s ‘I Wanna Dance with Somebody‘. This dance will be suitable to do inside your own home, by yourself or with your family.
Don’t worry if you don’t have experience filming and using Zoom, we will send you detailed step by step instructions on how to get involved.
The project will culminate in a professional, online performance video of your finished sequences edited by the project choreographer Kristyn Fontanella.
We will host a Virtual Viewing Party on Friday 15 May where we will all watch the performance premiere together online.
Project dates: Thursday 9 April – Friday 15 May 2020
What you need to take part:
– Laptop / phone with a camera that can record video
– A space where you can dance (either alone or with a partner / family)
– A sense of fun and an urge to dance!
If you would like to get involved in this project please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and contact phone number by Thursday 9 April.
6 – 10 April
– Project Announced
– Send out ‘How to use Zoom’ Tutorial (Thursday 9)
– Share Dance Tutorial to participants via Whatsapp / email (Thursday 9)
13 – 17 April
– Confirm everyone has downloaded Zoom, Kristyn will make test calls to check it’s working if there any questions
– Re-share Zoom Tutorial and Dance tutorial
– Live dance together via Zoom (Thursday 16, 2-3pm)
20 – 24 April
– Live dance together via Zoom (Thursday 23, 2-3pm)
– Record & share ‘How to film Yourself’ Tutorial (Friday 24)
27 April – 1 May
– Re-share ‘How to film Yourself’ Tutorial (Monday 27)
– Live dance together via Zoom (Thursday 30, 2-3pm)
– All participants email Kristyn with their footage
4 – 8 May
– Live dance together via Zoom (Thursday 7, 2-3pm)
– Feedback given to all participants for routines and videos
11 – 15 May
– Share final video project online and with group via Virtual Viewing Party (15 May)
Be A Dance Hero, Support Artists during the COVID-19 Crisis.
As a result of the COVID-19 crisis, all cultural institutions have postponed all public facing events, classes and performances until further notice. This has made it a very difficult and precarious time for some of our dance artists who rely on roles such as teaching, performing and creating as a source of income.
Dance Limerick are continuing to support our artists by asking them to provide dance classes, workshops and performances online for you. If you are interested in taking part in one of these events, please consider donating to our Be a Dance Hero scheme, which enables us to continue financially supporting dance artists in Limerick. No donation too small.