Dance Limerick and Limerick City and County Council Arts Office invite Expressions of Interest from Irish based, Artists/Ensembles to undertake a two-year residency in Limerick from early 2020. The successful Dance Artist will partner with the two organisations in making application to the Arts Council’s Dance Artist-in-Residence (DAR) scheme, as part of Dance Limerick’s strategic funding proposal in late August/early September. The DAR is awarded on an annual basis and a new proposal will be submitted in 2020 for 2021.
Please read the Arts Council Guidelines outlining eligibility and criteria in 2019/20 here.
Limerick Dance Artist in Residence
The aim of the Residency in Limerick is to offer an Artist/Ensemble opportunity to support his/her/their own practice and to develop an in-depth relationship with Limerick’s local artists, communities and audiences. It is envisaged that the Artist will have a regular presence in Limerick over the course of the next two years.
The Process is in two stages:
- Expression of Interest, due Monday 24 June
- Detailed Proposal & Budget, due Friday 19 July
Expressions of Interest & Proposals might include but are not limited to
- Researching and developing new choreographic work
- Performance(s) at Dance Limerick and/or locally
- Collaborating with local artists working in dance or other media
- Working with local communities of place or interest to foster participation, appreciation and discussion around dance
- Programming and/or leading a suite of events such as workshops, masterclasses, talks, or laboratory sessions
- Collaborating with Dance Limerick on artistically focussed Audience Development Activities
- Feeding into Dance Limerick’s Percolate Residencies, Associate Artist and Performance programmes
Budget and Resources
- €28,000 (pending successful response from the Arts Council to the proposed programme of activity, the outcome of which will be known in December 2019).
- The performance space at Dance Limerick will be available to the Artist for a period of four weeks for the purpose of researching, creating and performing. Additional studio / performance space can be provided for the purpose of other aspects of the proposal. Spaces and times to be discussed and co-ordinated in advance.
- Technical / production support for performances and projects taking place at Dance Limerick
- If not resident in Limerick, the Artist will have access to the two Artists’ Apartments (each accommodates one person), operated by Limerick City & County Council for blocks of one to six weeks at a time. Dates for occupancy to be agreed and subject to availability. (Please note, the apartments are not available for periods of less than 5 days. All other accommodation requirements will need to be met from the residency budget or the Artist’s own production resources).
- Administrative support in organising the activities of the Residency
- Promotional support for the residency and its activities through Dance Limerick’s regular marketing channels and through the City & County Council Arts Office’s online marketing channels, e-newsletters and social media.
How to Apply
Email only to jenny@dancelImerick.ie with DAR 2020 in the subject field
Initial Expression of Interest | deadline Monday 24 June | 1 PDF document to include
- 3 point summary of proposal (up to 50 words)
- Outline of proposal (up to 500 words)
- Artistic Statement (up to 100 words)
- 3 samples of work
Shortlisted Applicants will be invited to submit:
- Detailed programme for year 1 with outline plans for year 2
- Details of artistic and audience engagement, and local individual/organisation involvement (up to 200 words)
- What the programme will bring to Limerick (up to 200 words)
- How the Residency will support your professional dance practice (up to 200 words)
- Detailed budget for year 1
Deadline Friday 19 July | 1 PDF document
Expressions of Interest & Detailed Proposals to be submitted via email to email@example.com
A selection panel to include the Director of Dance Limerick, A Professional Dance Artist and the Local Authority Arts Officer will review all Expressions of Interest and will shortlist 3-4 Artists/Ensembles to be invited to submit detailed proposals. All Artists/Ensembles will be advised of the outcome of their Expression of Interest by Friday 28 June.
Following review of detailed proposals by eh panel, all applicants will be informed of the outcome by Wednesday 31 July
This is a pre-submission process to the Arts Council’s Dance Artist-in-Residence Scheme and applicants should pay particular attention to the Arts Council’s Guidelines for applying to the scheme. See link above
- The quality, originality and ambition of the Artist’s programme as demonstrated in the proposal
- The capacity to deliver the programme within the available resources
- The extent to which the applicant demonstrates the provision of equitable conditions and remuneration for participating artists
- The track record of the Artist
Partnership Roles for the Residency Programme
Artist - to design the residency programme and to lead on its delivery in collaboration with Dance Limerick
Dance Limerick - to lead on application to the Arts Council, support the Artist and the Residency Programme
Local Authority - to support the Artist and the Residency programme with in-kind resources including promotion of activities, accommodation, and any other way in which the Council can assist.
Through a combination of performance platforms, residency opportunities, master classes, talks and lectures, Dance Limerick will advocate for artistic dialogue and exchange. In collaboration with dance artists across a range of practices, Dance Limerick will promote the creation of new and innovative work and will devise programmes of access, engagement and participation for the wider public.
Based at the premises of the former Daghdha Dance Company, Dance Limerick houses offices and a fully equipped studio space along with a separate performance venue known as the Daghda Space
Further information about facilities and opportunities for professional dance artists available from Jenny Traynor at